Monday, July 6, 2009

A day at Duke

Katie had another visit to Duke on Thursday the 2nd of July. This visit coincided with a milestone for us. Katie was exactly twelve weeks old on that day. The significance of that is that we were at duke for exactly six weeks. This means that we had now been at home as long as we were at Duke. We feel like we are now on the plus side a bit as I write this.

Our day at Duke began about 5:30 or so that morning. We both had to get up and not only get us ready, but also get up two children and get them ready. Some of this was greatly reduced by Super Nana who volunteered to come and take Michael to day care for us. Our appointment was scheduled for 9:30, so we had to leave home about 7:30.

Before I go too far let me acknowledge that of all of the "Parker House" families, we live the closest to Duke. We can be there in about and hour and a half. Our sympathy goes out to those who have to travel multiple hours to go to their check ups.

We arrived in the parking deck just after 9 a.m. We then made the familiar trek through the long rapid transit tunnel, after looking for our friend through the window. Katie's check up ran as smooth as silk. Dr Benjamin and Dr. Ashley both gave her a thorough looking over, and said things looked quite well. She was weighed and had gained to 10 pounds 10 and 1/2 ounces.

Katie and Dr. Benjamin

We were sent to have a pulmonary function test (PFT) and had to wait about 45 minutes. On the way to this test we got a brief glimpse of the Myers family who had an appointment for Carter during the same time. Katie performed quite well on her PFT and upon crunching of the numbers it was decided that she could be removed from one of her nebulizer medications unless she exhibits a need. This cuts her nebulizer time in half for us.

After all of Katie's Dr.'s were finished it was Mom and Dad's turn. We had volunteered to be a part of a research study to help find the cause of CDH. So for the next hour or so Beth and I answered a series of questions about our jobs, families, and lots of other topics. We also both had several vials of blood drawn for research purposes.

We left Duke about 3:00 pm, feeling quite well, and once again thanking God for our little girl. We feel so blessed to have her and also to live in such close proximity to such a wonderful medical facility as Duke!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the great report! Isn't God great?